The Women’s League was founded by a group of African American women – who were the wives of local ministers. Their vision and innovation was the impetus that drives the Women’s League some 100 plus years later.
Moved into a house purchased on Avon Street in the Clay-Arsenal neighborhood.
Becomes the first minority affiliate of the Greater Hartford Community Chest (now the United Way of the Capital Area)— a testimony to the value and quality of programs.
Becomes vital part of a growing community though expansion of recreational activities for school-age children and adult education classes—especially for families hit hard by the Great Depression.
Early childhood education becomes focus of programs offered.
Relocation to present site at 1695 Main Street in Hartford.
Capital building campaign begins for the new center.
Became first inner-city early childhood education program to be accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
New state-of-the-art facility opened.